Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Burger Debate

I was just reading a debate about - What is the best burger chain? The discussion was all over the map comparing the $10 burger at Cheesecake Factory to the burgers at White Castle. Such a conversation is pointless because their really is no comparison between a fast food burger costing less that $3 and the burgers at an actual restaurant such as Chili's or Fuddrucker's.

By the way: What ever happended to the great burgers at Chili's. As a part of my personal culinary lore, I ate in the first Chili's on the first day they opened back around 1973. They used to have wonderful burgers. My favorite was a Chili's Trip - a cheeseburger with grilled onions. They were an excellent chain delivering good food in the early years.

Then like many others, they strayed from what made them good. They expanded their menu, and ditched the items that brought them their original customers. Reaching a broader audience will make them more money- never mind that they are not a good at lots of items as they were very good at a few. Too bad for some of us that enjoyed Chili's before it was sold to Brinker.

What are the best burger places in Waco?

My Fast Food Burger Rankings:
1. What-A-Burger - could use better fries but they are fresh and made to order. They also have Diet Dr Pepper.
Wish we had a Carl's Jr. They would be second.
2. Burger King - I know that the flame broiling is not for everyone but when you get a fresh hot one they taste good.
3. Jack-in-the Box - Just for the commercials I put them ahead of the others.
4. Sonic is similar in style to Whata but a bit cheaper. Love those drinks.

Upscale Restaurant Burgers:
Sadly Tony Roma's is gone along with the Roma Burger which I thought was pretty good.
1. Fuddrucker's meat is good quality and you can make it how you like it at the fixin's bar.
2. Cheddar's has a very nice upscale burger with plenty of choices.
3. Crickett's never dissapoints and has several nice combinations of add-ons. They are the place for a burger and a beer.
4. Backyard Burger has a decent piece of meat but I am not all that crazy about their specialty choices.

Others:
George's, Logan's

Non-chain Burgers:
1. Kupps - I love the fries
2. Double R - just like an old fashion burger should taste.
3. Health Camp - certainly a legend.

Mention:
Kitok's, Captain Billy, Tom's, Chrisiti's

I know this is an area where everyone has an opinion. Post your own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WC, I have been to Chili's maybe 2 times since they opened in Waco. I never found anything great about them. Whataburger is good if you want something fast. I see you wished we had a Carl's Jr. At one time we did...where Whataburger is now at Waco Drive and Valley Mills Dr. Burger King's burgers are good. I've always liked JIB. Sonic has pretty much become the BIG fast-food joint since there or so many and they are quick. I went to Tony Roma's up in Lewisville. They were great! The Waco location paled badly compared to them. Fuddrucker's is good because you can make the burger the way YOU want. Cheddar's just has a clientele that likes other Cheddar's. I personally don't care for them. I like the taste of the Backyard burgers, but I've had better. I have yet to eat at George's...and I've lived here since 1980. Logan's is no Texas Roadhouse...TR is the best for steaks. I've always wanted to try Health Camp. Guess I'll have to make plans to do that. Captain Billy Whizzbang's is just right if you want a homemade greasy burger. And no one beats McDonald's fries.

Anonymous said...

George's isn't a chain, is it?