Friday, September 08, 2006

Winging It

I had seen Buffalo Wild Wings in Dallas and its suburbs but had never ventured into one. I was not very excited when they bought the Tony Roma’s location and transformed it into another wing joint. Their Internet location proclaims that they seek to be more that just another New York chicken wing purveyor. They do this by using the unique concept of combining their food with a dozen TV’s showing many sports events. The chain is based in Kent, Ohio. There are over 400 locations in 36 states – mostly in the east.

I have visited BWW twice and both times I have been pleased with the service and atmosphere of the place. They have a large selection of sauces for the wings that are carefully graded for hotness. I found the Honey Barbeque and the Asian Zing to be very tasty. I had some of the wing with the HOTcoating that live up to the name. They were much to warm for my companion and did make my lips burn after just two wings. Unless you are taking a bet of showing off it is probably wise to stick with the mid-range choices. The ranch and blue cheese side dips were thick and tasty as well.

They have several sandwiches and salads to compliment the wings. This is good because not everyone wants to make a meal of chicken parts. Quite by accident I stopped in on a Tuesday and found that the wings are only $.35 each that day. This is a nice bargain. 10 wings cost only $3.50 combined with some blue cheese, fries and a drink for about $6.00. Not bad.

I have eaten at other wing places in Waco including Wing Stop (I like the fries) but I think BWW is a cut above the rest. Frozen potatoes and no Diet Dr Pepper keep BWW from getting a higher rating but I thought I got some tasty food with decent value for my dollars.

No comments: