Wednesday, December 06, 2006

TRANS FAT RIGHTS

I was amused by someone's comment that as a Texan is is our God given right to eat all the trans fat we want - even if we don't know we are eating it. This viewpoint was expressed in response to New York City banning the use of trans fat in restaurants (effective in 2008). Certainly no good deed goes unpunished. Oils with trans fat can be stored longer than oils that do not have hydrogen added to them. I suspect that most who object will do so because of the cost. Using peanut, canola, of another more expensive oil can effect flavor, texture, and shelf life. I have a hard time complaining about anything that makes food healthier.

I visited D's Chicken on Colcord last week. I enjoyed the food and the great value. The gyro's are large and tasty - maybe a bit dry for some tastes but good. I tried their hummus and was very pleased. In all, a nice place that has something a bit different.

No comments: